Saturday, October 3, 2009

Yard Sale Report

With a full heart, I can brag that about 100% of our baby items have been things people gave us. First there was the Mail-In Baby Shower my sisters-in-law organized. For this, close friends and family members picked things off our registry and had them either mailed to us or available for us to pick up in the store. Then there was a GEMS Shower, since I was a leader 5 years ago. Next came the overwhelming Church Baby Shower, where it seemed every person in our church helped completely clear out our registry. Then when each of the girls was born we were given gifts again, and money! And lastly, we were, and still are, supplied with hand-me-down baby items, clothes and toys by friends Teri, Julie and Penny. I cherished each baby item we owned, not just for the memory of my babies using it, but also for the love it was given to us with. It has always been important to us to give it all back some how. We were just considering the idea of a fall yard sale when a family was laid on our hearts. This is a family who has been through a lot and who still has a long road ahead. This is a family about to add another member through adoption. This is a family we love and want to help. It was so obvious that by selling the things we were blessed with, we could maybe bless another family with a baby on the way.
.
So, while it wasn't easy to part with my stuff, I did it with a happy heart. And I was so excited to hear some of the stories of the moms and grandmas who went home with our things! The family that got our crib and bedding just took in a 5 month old foster baby. He was taken from his mom because of severe physical abuse. They didn't have a single baby item. Another woman was loading up on baby gear for her young, single-mom daughter. Another group of ladies makes Baby Cakes, stuffed with onesies and bibs and stuff. They snatched up all the brand-new, still in package items we were just never able to use. Another woman is opening a store and can sell some of our things. The young mom who bought our stroller and car seat set was exhausted after looking everywhere for one that was at a price she could afford. In the place in my heart that holds the memories of Ella and Delia in the swing and cradle, I will stuff these stories as well.

And not only were we blessed to meet new people and hear their stories, the yard sale was a financial success! We made almost twice what I was even hoping we'd make! It helped that my good friend Amy brought over a whole car-load of items for us to add to our sale. Every big item went and most for the asking price, if not close to it. I even priced high and we feel we compromised nothing!

In the end, this is all that is left. One bag I hope to sell at a used children's goods place. One bag for the homeless shelter. And a few items to be donated to our church nursery. What a day! I'm not quite ready to do it again any time soon, but I feel so rewarded!

2 comments:

Quiver Full said...

Great job! We had one (our first one, ever) this summer. It's so overwhelming, yet worth it! ;0)

Anonymous said...

Jen you are a writer-you put your heart so well into words. I'm glad your garage sale went so well, and many people were no doubt blessed by what they received!
Amy