Sunday, June 20, 2010

Good Genes

I think I have just enough time to squeeze this Father's Day post into this Father's Day. :)

As the girls grow and show us more of who they really are, I am constantly thankful for the Daddy they come from. I love how Ella is crazy smart and has Dave's long eyelashes and how Delia is happiest when she's climbing or jumping off of something and has his dimple. But so much more than that, some of the character traits I admire most in them I know are because of Dave.

Ella just has a knack for the Bible and theology. Her Mt. Hermon counselors tell me in amazement, "She knew the whole story already!" or "You can tell she's the pastor's daughter!" She has always had a heart for God and a real desire to know more about him. Not just the stories in the Bible that every kid likes, but deep truth about sin and God as a heavenly father and redemption. I know this because of the questions she asks and the comments she makes.

Delia has this magnetism. I told Dave, after watching her at Mt. Hermon, "She is enchanting." She makes everyone in her life feel special with her affection and enthusiasm for them. I watch her exclaim over and run up to hug church friends and I know they feel so loved. Dave (and his siblings, in fact!) has this same gift-- everyone he interacts with feels important and special and knows they have his attention. It's for this reason I was one of about 7 girls in high school who had a crush on Dave and Delia has a constant flock of friends following her around!

If my girls grow up to be even a part of the impressive person their father is, I know everyone they serve and love in their lives will be blessed!

No comments: