If you are a stay-at-mom like me perhaps you can relate to the frustration of "looking down." I feel my whole day is spent looking down at something I find little joy in seeing. A floor covered in toys. A table hidden under a puddle of spilled milk or the remnants of a glitter craft. A pile of laundry to fold. Yet another round of Chutes and Ladders. A garden teeming with weeds. A grocery list to compile. A bunch of notes to craft into a church newsletter. A line of dirty dishes on the counter. Some days I feel my life is very small and the things that have become a part of my job description are tedious and pointless. And, honestly, because completing these tasks seems so boring and unimportant at times, I struggle with distraction.
Then I hear the words of my new favorite Steven Curtis Chapman song and I remember that my job is of utmost importance because it is what I am called to do and doing it gives me an opportunity to glorify God! How cool to also remember that I have been equipped with the gifts needed to fulfill my calling at this exact time.
Do Everything
You’re picking up toys on the living room floor
for the 15th time today
Matching up socks and sweeping up lost
Cheerios that got away
You put a baby on your hip and color on your lips
and head out the door
And while I may not know you I bet I know you
Wonder sometimes does it matter at all?
We’ll let me remind you it all matters just as long as you
Do everything you do to the glory of the One who made you
Cause He made you to do
Every little thing that you do to bring a smile to His face
And tell the story of grace
With every move that you make
And every little thing you do
.
.
Other times when I'm looking down, at a piece of art Ella has made for me or her fingers on the piano keys or one of Delia's 100-a-day leg hugs or a Bible study lesson that speaks right to my heart, the view is so good and so meaningful that it makes me just want to cry with happiness. Then I can't help but feel like I have the best job in the world and I'm outrageously blessed.

1 comment:
I can certainly relate! I have found that song really encouraging, too! Looking forward to a good chat with you!
Post a Comment