I like to think I know a little something about reading, kids reading and the books kids like to read. And I like to think my theory of "Readers aren't born, they're made" has some merit. It's why I'm so passionate about discovering good children's literature and teaching kids how exciting a good book can be. I have this passion because, once upon a time, I hated reading. Through most of grade school it was a simply a chore with no enjoyment...until 4th grade when I stumbled on a series of books that hooked me. Suddenly I couldn't stop reading. I've heard a similar story from others and would be interested to learn what book or series of books turned you or your child into someone who loves to read. I'll admit, with a bit of embarassment, that mine was Sweet Valley Twins, then Babysitters' Club, then Nancy Drew.
Ella is just beginning her journey as a reader and she does pretty well at reading books out lout to us, but I wouldn't have said she LOVES to read yet. She'd never read a book voluntarily to herself. However, that all changed when Uncle Kyle gave Ella her first Babymouse book last week. Like me in 4th grade, suddenly she couldn't stop reading! She'd say things like, "Can I keep my lights on and read in my bed for a while?" or "I wish I could just curl up on the couch and read all day!" I am jumping for joy because Ella is hooked! Oh how I relate to her desires to pause life until she reaches the end of her beloved story! There are quite a few of these Babymouse books and Ella helped me put a few more that she's dying to read on the wishlist. My daughter may be a book lover way before I ever was, but she seems to be proving my theory right-- it just takes the right book to hook you!

4 comments:
I'm so glad she's enjoying the book, Jen! I miss you guys already. Thank you so much for the wonderful break. Love, Uncle Kyle
THAT IS AWESOME!!! YAY, ELLA!!!
Worlds upon worlds will open up to her! This is fantastic Jen. I know adults that still aren't "readers" and I feel the same way. Just so sad that they have never found the story they needed to drag them into another life. So glad she found the magic.
Love her.
Another book lover! And I love how you all have cultivated that...Can't wait to share that book with Meilani. We'll have to hunt down Babymouse!
Post a Comment