Saturday, November 9, 2013

10 Years

This summer our family hit a special milestone: 10 years of living and serving in California!  In August of 2003, we packed up our every belonging in a big, rented truck and made the trek across 9 states with our best friends, Nick and Amy.  Along the way we had tons of laughs and some jitters about the home that would be waiting for us at the end of this journey (the journey being both the 5 day drive and the 20 years of school Dave endured to do what he believed God was calling him to do). 

It is really remarkable how richly God has blessed us in this call.   Dave has been a perfect fit for the job and 10 years later still feels purpose and rewards in doing it.  And you know, because you read regularly about, how much we love this home-- the amazing things to see and do all around us, the life-long friends we've made, and now the satisfaction we are both finding in our careers.


Being so embraced in this church family is truly blessing enough, but about a month ago the church decided to make our 10 year anniversary even more special.  (Posting now because I just yesterday got the picture of our family someone snapped.)  They recognized Dave and our family during a worship service, gifted us with a very generous gift card and served everyone cake afterwards in our honor.  In his little speech about Dave, our senior pastor acknowledged both the great professional relationship and friendship he and Dave share and said something really nice: "If I had even a bit of the intelligence and wisdom Dave has when I was first starting in the ministry, I could have avoided so many mistakes and problems."  When Dave went up front to accept the applause and gift and to give the parting blessing he said, "It was always my fear that, following seminary, the church I felt called to would not be a place Jen felt called to.  Here we have been so blessed!  To the point where my wife has said that if I ever feel called elsewhere, she and the girls will stay and email me pictures!"  We are always striving to stay on the path we feel God wants us on, but I must confess that I pray God desires to have us traveling this particular road for many many more miles!

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Yay! So glad we've been here for part of your journey! :)