Sunday, April 10, 2016

Spring Break Staycation

For our Spring Break, we decided to try something totally new: a complete Staycation.  This Spring Break had a new car purchase in it, so we decided to refrain from spending any money on vacations or even day trips.  Instead, I filled each of our days with friends the girls have been asking to see and playdates we've been meaning to have.  

So, I give you this Friends Post, which is the way we spent a lovely week off of school:

 Okay, this is not technically from Spring Break, but it's a friend picture I wanted to include.  Ella went away for a whole weekend to a church camp.  She had a blast!  She was put in a cabin with lots of her good friends and kept busy with all sorts of fun activities.  It was the longest I have ever gone without talking to her and I'm so happy she's the kind of kid who loves an away-from-home adventure.

 Right before Spring Break, our school hosted its annual Open House and Spring Program.  We always enjoy the opportunity to get tours of the girls' classrooms and chat with their teachers.  The program is only for kids in grades kindergarten through 3rd, which means we are officially done.  Delia and her classmates sang their Fruit of the Spirit songs wholeheartedly and ended our years of Spring Programs on nice note!  (Do you like that pun I just did there?)  Above is Delia with two of her good friends Kate and Sara.


Our Spring Break kicked off with a morning with long-distance friends, Heidi and her kids.  They happened to be in town and were kind enough to squeeze a visit with us into their schedule.  We were so blessed to catch up with these dear friends and hear all about how life is going now that Heidi's chaplain husband is deployed.



Another night I got a playdate with some of my friends!  :)  My good buddy Jetta hosted a Girls Night Out Badminton Tournament and Movie Night for her birthday.  These ladies were a riot and this night was SO fun!  During our tournament we had every kind of weather: blinding sun, extreme wind, even down-pouring rain!  Competitive Jetta made us play through it all!  I am blaming the crazy weather, and not my sub-par badminton skills, on my team's (The Badminton Babes) last place finish.


 Over Spring Break, our youth pastor and his wife had their baby-- a perfect and sweet baby boy named Judah.  He actually came a week early and he actually disrupted the Easter weekend preaching schedule quite a bit, unexpectedly doubling Dave's workload.  But, all worked out just fine!  And what joy we had spending a morning meeting him and showering his wonderful parents with some gifts and meals.  Ella is getting hooked on this "holding newborns" thing and would hardly share him! :)


The girls ask me often to let them have friends sleepover and, you guys, I just don't feel like I have the energy for this in a normal work week.  Spring Break was the perfect time to finally get this sleepover on the calendar.   It ended up being a lot of fun--  with a lot of playing, another movie night, and even an impromptu dance party.


 Delia had her friend Kate over and it was so sweet to listen to them reading books to each other for an hour in the bunk beds they shared.

 Ella had her friend Emily sleep over and they felt so grownup sharing the little guest house, where they listened to music, played cards and slept for the night. They also enjoyed rollerblading around our church parking lot the next day.

Our Spring Break's Grand Finale was a Saturday morning with another good friend, Rachel and her boys Evan and Zane.  We met at the Home Depot to make butterfly houses together and then spent some time at the park.

On the Sunday before school started up again, we reminded the girls of the big Spring Break trip we made to San Diego last year.  We asked which break was better, expecting that obviously they'd choose the one that had theme parks, koala bears, and killer whales in it.  They did not!  A break full of relaxation, movie watching, game playing, book reading and LOTS of time with friends was just as satisfying they reported!  And I think I may agree with them.

No comments: