Sunday, May 22, 2016

Catching You Up on May

Time to give the blog its monthly attention!  Remember when I used to post something every day? :)  Once again, this post is mostly brought to you by my Instagram account, so if you follow that, you are already caught up and can mark this as "read"!

 To promote our school book fair, the kids had a "Dress like a favorite book character" day.  I loved that my girls thought hard about this and created outfits that truly reflected favorite characters...and were made with things we had in the house!  Delia went as Kaya from her American Girl Doll books and Ella went as Roller Girl, one of this year's Newberry winning graphic novels.  She decided to leave the roller blades at home. :)

 One Sunday I was talking to some dairy-farming friends about our sad, dry garden and its victimhood of last year's drought.  The next thing I knew, I was arranging a time for them to swing by with a cow trailer full of the nutrient-rich fertilizer this particular dairy is famous for composting!  We had lots of laughs about how we are unexpectedly and constantly blessed by our church friends sharing their skills and resources with us.  This time is was poop!  Not only did they deliver 5 yards of beautiful compost, they helped me spread it around the veggie garden and flower beds.  I think it's working,  My plants have grown like crazy this month!

 Another night we spent at our school's Family Fun Night.  The velcro wall was popular with Delia and her friend Kate.  But, our goldfish only lasted about 36 hours this year.


Ella is part of a church club for girls and they closed out the year with a 50's themed Mother Daughter Night.  Ella and I enjoyed getting our poodle skirts on (mine is the one my mom made me in high school!) and spending the night together.  Each class does a little skit or performance and the 5th graders and their moms played a Newlywed Game on the stage.  Ella and I did not score very well, but we had lots of fun!  And seeing everyone's fabulous 50's fashions was a real highlight.


We've been part of a Supper Club with some church friends for a few months now.  The couple that hosts pick a theme and distribute food assignments/recipes.  In May we hosted with a "Chicago Style" theme that was a huge hit.  But, how can you possibly go wrong with beer-boiled brats, ribs, real French fries, bbq beans, and Portillos famous chopped salad and chocolate cake?


In May we also enjoyed the annual Council vs. Youth Group softball game our church hosts.  This year Dave was traded to the other team (the "Old Guy" team, we teased him), so we rooted for the other side for the first time.  As they usually do, the Old Guys took the victory, so we got to finally celebrate a win with the trade of our favorite player!  (Open this picture to see two funny photo bombers hanging on the fence behind the players!)

A proud moment for Delia.  This girl has struggled with math since day one of kindergarten (my genes, I'm afraid) and the grades that come home on tests are mostly a much different looking number and letter.  Last week she brought home HER FIRST A and proved something Dave and I have been telling her for years-- she CAN do it.  We got this little beauty displayed on the fridge!

On Thursday and Friday this week I was done teaching students.  I'll still be at school next week attending my Pre-K graduation, cleaning my classrooms, and filling out student profiles, but I said goodbye to my sweet 36 kiddos last week.  It's a bittersweet time that gives me all the feels.  I feel sooooo happy to be done.  Relieved to have survived this challenging year.  Excited for a summer full of fun with the family.  Thankful for these teachers (and others not pictured) who were not only my co-workers, but also dear friends.  And sad to say goodbye to each student who I came to call "mine" this year, some I'll never see again after graduation.  As I get teary again even typing that out, I'm gonna focus my mind on the fact that we leave for a very fun vacation in exactly a week!

No comments: