About once a month, the girls and I go and visit a sweet 90+ year old woman from our church family named Betty. The girls bring our tub of nail polishes and they paint her toes and fingers for her-- a job she told me her late husband used to do when her hands started shaking. This has become a sweet time for all of us. Grandma Betty tells the girls fascinating stories about what life was like when she was a young girl. Then before we leave, she insists that Ella and Delia pick out necklaces and glass figurines from her collection. She also gives them a few bucks. The girls truly love participating in this act of service, and I'm so proud of them when they try to refuse her money. But Grandma Betty says, "When you get old, you just accumulate stuff, including money. It gives me greater joy to give it away than keep it." What a neat lesson for all of us. :)
2 comments:
Sweet story...and I love the school post, too! Yay!
How sweet. I'm very proud of the girls and am so thankful that you have several "stand-in" grandmas to fill my role. Please give my darlings a hug.
Love, Grandma
Post a Comment