It is family tradition that Dave's older sister, Karen, hosts a grand gathering at their lovely home in Chicago every year. She invites both sides of her family and any other local friend who needs a place to feast. This year, though, their home is under construction with a major renovation project well under way. And she felt it was about time that she made her regular visit with just one son; this time our middle nephew, Aidan, was up for a turn. We were thrilled to have them. THEN, Dave's brother Kyle learned that he had a work thing in the Bay Area the weekend before Thanksgiving, so he asked if there was space around our table still!
Hosting a larger group of family than we've ever had made me feel extra thankful this year. I am thankful for the board game pieces that were constantly spread across that table. I am thankful that I had a kitchen full of helpers, including my nephew Aidian, who loves to cook. I am thankful for the whole pew we took up in church and for the tears of pride Dave's sister sheds after hearing him preach. I am thankful for family recipes like corn souffle, cranberry salad, roasted veggies, sweet potato souffle, and an amazing smoked turkey. I'm thankful for a long walk through the orchard to make space in the belly before eating pie in front of a warm fire. I am thankful that every bed, couch and cot in the place was full of people sleeping each night. I am thankful for all the laughter and love my house was filled with for a week, and for the notes they left that we are still finding! I am thankful that my in-law story is perhaps not the norm-- there is no drama or stress or frustration. Dave's family is truly my family too. And they are our best friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment