If you see any of us walking around looking a little wiped and out of it, it's because we're coming off busy weekend number 3 at our church camp for girls! March kinda slammed into us with Science Camp, play performance weekend, and church camp all back to back.
I was once again happy to attend camp with my girls as a counselor and got to lead Ella's 8th grade cabin full of sweet friends. I totally hit the cabin jackpot with this lovely group of girls. Their goal was to get the award for cleanest cabin; they loved to sleep and had no problem getting quiet at light's off; and when the rest of the camp was loosing their minds, running around screaming on Saturday night, my girls were in their jammies playing a board game in their room! Sleep is not great at girls' camp and the schedule is very busy, so I'm tired, but it's certainly not from any stress or drama these ladies gave me!
The highlight of camp (Ella's last one, incidentally!) was working up the courage to ride the giant swing-- an honor only the 8th graders get. Ella does not love heights or roller coasters. To be buckled in, hoisted over 20 feet in the air, then suddenly dropped and left dangling, swinging back and forth, did not sound fun at all to her. But, she did not want to leave camp with any regrets, so she bravely gave it a try. And she liked it enough to even do it a second time! The second time, I got brave enough to try it with her. When people ask what the best part of camp was, both of us will tell you conquering the giant swing was!
Another special honor saved for the 8th graders is the choreographed dance each older girl cabin prepares to perform for the whole camp. My girls danced to "Good Time" by Owl City and Carly Rae Jepsen. They spent all their free time working together on this and it turned out really cute.
The theme this year was "Saddle Up Cowgirl", so we all got to dress up in Western gear. On Saturday night we enjoyed some line dancing and then a talent show of 18 acts by the girls. Delia was one of them-- she sang a solo! I just love hearing the girls cheer each other on, wildly applauding each act and jumping in to sing along.
Group shots-- above, whole camp, below, our church group.
Even though Ella is officially done with this girls' ministry after this year, I'm still in it for 2 more years with Delia's class. I'll switch to being her counselor next year, if she'll have me. But, I don't expect Delia and her energetic friends will be using free time to calmly play board games or trying to get "cleanest" and "quietest" cabin awards! ;)






1 comment:
Jen, Ella and Delia - You are all so brave!! You went swinging from that incredible swing, and...Delia singing a solo! So proud of all of you. I know you've all been so busy but look at all of the memories you are creating.
Love, Mom/Grandma
Post a Comment