Friday, September 11, 2009

Family

Earlier this week Dave's younger sister Kristen was taken to the hospital via ambulance late at night. Discovered was an abdomen infection so bad it even turned septic. After waiting several days in the hospital for antibiotics to clear things up, today she had a successful, but 4 hour long, surgery removing the infected areas. Obviously our hearts are with Kris, Eric and Baby Cole and not being able to be with them is devastating. I want to provide childcare for Cole. I want cheer her up with visits and gifts in the hospital. I want to bring them meals. We want to do more than just wait for updates on the phone.

What our family has gone through with Kris parallels some happy news we also got at the beginning of the week. Our worship coordinator Heidi had her baby! She welcomed a beautiful baby boy named Colton into their home. In some ways, Heidi is like an auntie to my girls. Her office is right by Dave's and our frequent trips to church have given them tons of time together. Ella knows which drawers Heidi keeps her crayons in. Delia knows just where to find the ball in her office. Clearly, Heidi is not a member of our immediate family as Kris is, but she's a member of our church family. And like us, her parents and siblings are half a country away. We know her relatives long to meet little Colton and bring meals and provide childcare and pamper and love her, the same way we so desire to lift Kristen up. So when I cooked her and her husband dinner tonight, I did it for them and Kris. When we visited and brought gifts, we did it with Kris in mind.

This has all been a great reminder of the blessing of church family. Though we can't be with Kris, we know so many are. Though Heidi can't be with her family, we and our church are gonna shower her with meals and gifts and visits. One of my favorite things about belonging to a church is seeing Christ's love in action among its members. Related or not, far away or in the same zip code, we are all family and we are all bonded and we are all called to serve one another.
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't that wonderful the way it works? I was at the hospital with Kris tonight, when two of her friends came to visit. I know that she helped out both of these women in the past year, when they had babies. Tonight they came with goodies for Kristen, along with 'coupons' for free babysitting for little Cole. Thanks for praying for her. I know it is hard not to be here. Thank you also for showing your love by helping out Heidi, just as your church family has shown you all much love.
MOM