Sunday, May 23, 2010

Life in Play

Perhaps it's because she's a girl, or maybe just because she's my girl, there's a pattern in the way Ella plays. She sets up, which is exactly what I did with Heather when I was younger. We made everything from libraries to travel agencies. Every day Ella uses her imagination to create a new world and a new scenario. And since Dave and I intentionally invest a lot of time and money in life experiences, we take great delight in seeing how recent experiences affect that play. Ella is practicing for her preschool program/graduation, so every night before bed we have to sit on the couch and watch her version of a performance. Our VBS has a "High Seas Expedition" theme, so the music we've been listening to and the work we've been doing has inspired a lot of play on ships with pirates lately.
.
The trip to Gilroy Gardens is still something that is remembered and discussed every day. Ella set up this roller coaster and then took Delia on many pantomime rides through each drop and twist.

The girls have always loved playing doctor, but now no check-up is complete without getting the IV. Ella pieced this whole set-up together and has even given her play group friends "a drink in the arm."

It's so fun to watch this creativity blossom. From my own experience, I know the pretend adventure that awaits her and Delia!

No comments: