Today was a slow Saturday, so I finally did something Ella has been asking me to do for months-- dig out the tub of my old toys from the storage shed and crack it open for a trip down the memory lane of my childhood. When the home I grew up in needed to be cleaned out and sold years ago, I kept a handful of my favorite toys thinking some day I would want to look back at them (very much a'la Toy Story 3). Recently, Ella became aware of the existence of these dolls called Barbies that one could dress up in beautiful gowns. Since Barbies made up the majority of the play I did as a kid and I logged thousands of hours building them elaborate homes and story lines with Heather and Anna, I just had to share with my so-much-like-me oldest daughter.
I didn't keep much, just a few favorite outfits, my 2 favorite girls and Ken. Heather, you may be pleased to hear that all the most glamorous ballgowns I tricked you into trading me are bringing your niece much happiness now! :) Ella is in Barbie love with even this meager exposure. Anyone need a Christmas present idea for her?
Ella is pretty disturbed that his belly is exposed, but I was cracking up when I rediscovered this outfit I had saved for Ken-- complete with the sparkly glove! Someone tell me this also brings you straight back to your own days of playing Barbies in the 80's!


4 comments:
Ah, parallel lives again:-) A few summers ago my mom made me take my truck out of her house - FINALLY. It was full of my "My Child" doll, Strawberry Shortcake dolls & accessories (that was a few Christmases and birthdays), and of course BARBIES -- including my Barbie Dream Kitchen(I worked HARD for that)!!! Now I watch Anika play with my stuff. Amazing!
i remember all of those dresses and outfits. they didn't seem so crazy looking then.
heather
Oh, I am so excited that I can buy barbies and barbie clothes! I recently saw a beautiful princess Barbie, and wondered if Ella would like that. This will be a fun Christmas!!
Love, MOM
I love going to Target and looking at their vintage Barbie's. I laugh everytime I see the 80's one...my sister got it and I ALWAYS wanted it...I'm gonna laugh pretty hard if I get it for christmas! (: Also happy to see that other people tricked their sisters in to trading things.....
~Sheri
Post a Comment