Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Long Hair

In pictures, you've probably been noticing how long Ella's hair is getting.  Since she's worn a cute little bob hairdo since we trimmed off those baby curls, this increasing length is a pretty big deal in our house.  She started growing it long to be like a friend from preschool, but a few months ago the reason changed.

I explained to her what Locks of Love was and, in her Ella-way, she immediately empathized and decided she would grow her hair as long as she could to donate to people who are sick and lose their hair.  Even now as we combat tangles and she tells me she's ready for a change of hairdo, she still says, "But I'll keep growing it at least until Christmas so I have more to give."

I was reflecting on how indicative this is of Ella's character.  Dave and I were recently figuring out what Love Language each of the girls speaks.  Without doubt, Ella is a giver.  In the past two weeks alone here are some things we've heard from her:

1.  After delivering some coats to the box at church for the homeless, Ella came home and said, "We have so much dress-up, maybe we should give some dresses to the homeless too."
2.  When our annual pile of almond wood was dropped off by some wonderful church friends, she said, "They give us all this for free?!  What can we give them for free?"
3. When a friend at school shared a Silly Band with her, Ella went to her accessory box and picked out, not one, but two Silly Bands she wanted to share back with her friend.
4.  In thinking about Thanksgiving, on her own asked what we can do to help give food to people who won't have any.
5.  Is the most enthusiastic Peter Fish change-dropper in our family.  She found a dime on the ground and put it in her pocket to later feed the Peter Fish.
6.  Colors me at least one picture a day during her rest time.  They all have "To Mom Love Ella" written on them.

Dave and I are so impressed with her and know even we will continue to learn from her example!

No comments: