Everyone has their "thing." Some are masters of sports and can rattle off every past and present football player and coach. Some are intrigued by politics and wake up each morning headed right to their news page to read about all the Washington bigwigs. Some are students of entertainment and live for Hollywood's award season, knowing all the brightest actors, writers and directors.
Me? I love Children's Literature. I guarantee I know more than most about authors, their work and the prestigious awards they've won. This passion makes one of my favorite things a perusal of the Borders Young Adult section, on the hunt for familiar names with new titles. This interest means the 2011 Newberry award winners are already on hold for me at the public library. This knowledge allows me to answer questions from my husband like, "Who are the two illustrators who've won the Caldecott three times?" after he reads the jacket of one of our daughters' books (David Weisner and Marcia Brown, by the way).
This morning I got a new little job I'm pretty excited about. The library at Ella's school is run by a small group of volunteers. When one of the volunteers needed to step down because of health issues, she left a Thursday morning opening. With Delia in preschool at that exact time, I too have a Thursday morning opening in my schedule. So, guess who's the newest librarian at our school? With my love for Children's Lit and kids, I've always felt like a school library would be the perfect place for me to land professionally when I was ready to go back to work. I'm thinking this will be a good run-through. My little job will entail doing lessons and read alouds with 3 classes (one of them being Ella's kindergarten!), checking out and shelving the students' books and helping the volunteer who does the budget and buying know which books to add to the library. I get trained on Monday and start next week!
It's just a one-morning-a-week, non-paying job, but I still just have to say it: YAAAAY! :)
5 comments:
Dream come true!!! It sounds delightful. My high school English teacher always wanted me to be a librarian -- but I couldn't imagine the masters classes on the dewey decimal system. How did numbers get messed up with all those wonderful books:-) I'm so happy for you -- enjoy!
This is so perfect for you! Enjoy those Thursday mornings!
This sounds super fun! ENJOY!
Jen,
One of my favorite things about you is your love for Children's Lit. And good books in general. How fun to dive into this new opportunity! Ah the smell of books, the characters dancing across pages, the chance to inspire young readers...sounds magical!
This is PERFECT for you AND the school - how blessed they are to have an expert on hand! Jen, I am very proud of you! I cannot wait to hear all about it - awesome!!!!
(karen)
Post a Comment