Saturday, April 30, 2011

Gimme a (Spring) Break!

This Spring Break did indeed fulfill all we were dreaming it would be in giving us a break from homework, youth group meetings, leading Bible Study, trips to school and early mornings.  Though we made "relaxation!" and "freedom from a schedule!" the goals, we still planned one little special thing for each day.  Since I did my research, I'm proud to brag about how everything we did was either free or some kind of great deal.  You've already read about the 5K, our Easter celebration and the big outing to Carmel.  Here are some other things we did during our week off:


We dyed the Easter eggs...with glitter this year!  I don't necessarily recommend this, unless you like your children and whole kitchen and egg salad sparkly.



We took the girls out on dates.  Ella and I went to Color Me Mine and painted mugs on their no-studio-fee Monday afternoon.  Dave and Delia went to visit the big fish at the Bass Pro Shop.  Dave and I both enjoyed our special one-on-one time with the girls and they came back home each bursting to tell the other all the details of their outing.




We tried real (not Wii) bowling with the girls for the first time.  Dave was having an off day, but Ella still only came in a few points behind him! (To be fair, the kids did have bumpers.)  Delia only lasted about 5 frames until the spinning chairs proved to be more exciting.  So, Ella took over for her and perfected her between-the-legs granny roll with this double turn.  Our bowling alley offers daytime dollar rentals and games, so our wallets fared well too.



We pulled out the ole' free mini-golf pass that we enjoy as ministry workers and spent a fun afternoon at Funworks.


One night we enjoyed a family date with the Wickers.  We met up at Baskin Robbins for $.31 scoop night.  This was a special promotion to honor firefighters, so Steamer, the firehouse Dalmatian, entertained our kids while Lloyd, Dave, Heidi and I had a nice long visit! :)


We had our share of productivity this week too.  I am finally tackling the 12 tubs of baby clothes that have been living in the attic.  I was reluctant to sell or donate them in hopes that we could share them with a family we love.  Alas, Miles ended up being a boy and Grace, Giada, Ellietta, Anja and Danielle were born in the opposite season of my girls.  So, after reminiscing, sorting, stain-removing and washing, it's off to Once Upon a Child and the crisis pregnancy center I go!


On our last day of Spring Break, we took advantage of one last free activity-- a big medical fair sponsored by our community ambulance group.  Since we live a ways away from a hospital, our small town privately funds, staffs and operates several of its own ambulances.  Today they thanked us supporters with this party.  We watched gurney races, hit the bouncy house, had a delicious BBQ lunch and climbed in and out of all the emergency vehicles.  The coolest was the Medi-Flight.  We've never been so close to a helicopter and were excited to actually sit inside and hear about the emergency procedures from the pilot and EMTs.


So you see, without going on any major vacations or even spending any major bucks, a pretty cool Spring Break can still be yours!

1 comment:

Wicker Family said...

Looks like a great break!