Saturday, November 12, 2011

11-11

The two World War II planes low-fly back and forth, buzzing the tree-tops and getting cheers from the crowds of people on Main Street.  We find a spot to watch the parade, stopping to chat with friends along the way.  As the Color Guard, made up of uniformed veterans from each war, makes its way down the parade route, I feel that familiar lump in my throat.  By the time they raise the flag, lower it to half mast and play taps, I am swallowing hard.  As they walk past, my daughters ask, "Why are we standing and clapping, Mom?"  I explain that it's our way of saying, "Thank you".

After a patriotic parade of marching bands, historic army vehicles, 4-H clubs and even an Uncle Sam on stilts, we make our way over the Community Center for a BBQ lunch sponsored by the American Legion.  The whole town has come out and we wait in the long line.  This is fine because there are more friends to visit with.  Once inside, we explain to the girls what the symbolic empty table set and left for the POW MIA means.  Maybe because I just read Unbroken, I'm seeing everything in a new light this year.




Unfortunately, when it comes to Veteran's Day, it took me over 20 years to really "get it."  It took me moving to a small town, where the American Legion is super active and the men and women who've served past and present are numerous and have names and faces.  One of the many things I love and will always remember about this current home is how real it has made my pride for being an American.  How grateful it has reminded me to be for those who risk their lives to fight for our freedom.

No comments: