I'm back with a 2011 Reading List! Though I took last year off to focus more on miles ran instead of pages read, I'm happy to report an all-time high page count this year. I finally met a 12,000+ page goal, averaging about 1000 pages a month. However, completing books like "War and Peace" (which I actually started last year) and "The American Short Story" certainly helped with this.
Just to review my "Rules":
- Only books read completely can be included in the list - nothing unfinished, nothing I read only a portion of, even if the portion was substantial.
- Page count is calculated by taking the last page of the actual book and then adding any introductory pages that were not in the count and any additional appendices that get read. (Glossary and Notes pages are subtracted, unless read - Illustrations within the book are fair game).
- Categories of “Professional” and “Personal” are totally subjective and usually divided more on why I read the book.
- Reviews (all based on general impression at the end of the year) Green = generally positive, Red = generally negative, Black = Neutral
Professional Reading:
“Overcoming the Dark Side of Leadership” Gary McIntosh & Samuel Rima 245
“College Ministry 101” Chuck Bomar 203
“The Story” Zondervan (and God) 491
“Integrity” Henry Cloud 286
“Sacred Encounters” Tamara Park 331
“Love Wins” Rob Bell 205
“Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership” Ruth Haley Barton 223
“Me: The Me I Want to Be” John Ortberg 254
“Almost Christian” Kendra Creasy Dean 250
“The Godbearing Life” Kendra Creasy Dean & Ron Foster 223
“Imaginary Jesus” Matt Mikalatos 232
“Experiencing God” Henry Blackaby & Claude King 189
“Guerillas of Grace” Ted Loder 142
“OMG: A Youth Ministry Handbook” Kendra Creasy Dean 165
“College Ministry from Scratch” Chuck Bomar 186
“Spiritual Leadership” J. Oswald Sanders 201
“Be Mine” Jolene DeHeer 121
“The Real Deal” Dan Webster 197
Personal Reading:
“War and Peace” Leo Tolstoy 1455
“Catching Fire” Suzanne Collins 391
“Mockingjay” Suzanne Collins 392
“Letters and Papers from Prison” Dietrich Bonhoeffer 426
“The Book Thief” Markus Zusak 563
“The Help” Kathryn Stockett 451
“Water for Elephants” Sara Gruen 335
“What the Dog Saw” Malcolm Gladwell 418
“The Big Burn” Timothy Egan” 285
“At Home” Bill Bryson 453
“Unbroken” Laura Hillenbrand 406
“Decision Points” George W. Bush 483
“Uncle Tom’s Cabin” Harriet Beecher Stowe 446
“My Side of the Mountain” Jean Craighead George 177
“On the Far Side of the Mountain” Jean Craighead George 170
“The American Short Story” Various Authors 1012
“Bossypants” Tina Fey 277
“The Princess and the Goblin” George Mac Donald 199
“Cannery Row” John Steinbeck 181
Total Pages: 12,664
Was blessed to have a lot of good reads this year, with only a few bad ones - it would be hard to even pick my favorites. "Unbroken" certainly stands out as a top pick, but I would recommend almost anything green - which was a lot this year. We will have to see what next year brings - already into some good ones.
1 comment:
Impressive list, as usual. I'm delighted to say that I've read everything highlighted green in your personal category (except Letters and Papers from Prison, so it is going on my list) -- and I even read a few from your professional category. Happy reading in 2012!!!!
Post a Comment