Today we discovered a new U-Pick blueberry place. It is brand new and features rows upon rows of pristine and weed-free blueberry bushes. The blueberry field is beautifully bordered by a hay field, a vineyard and a cute little pond. The prices are great-- we took home a big bucket's worth of berries and paid just $6. There's a play area for kids, a whole bunch of funny looking scarecrows (who are named after weeds!) and lots of hunting for birds' nests and eggs to be done. And the blueberries are UH.MAZ.ING! Definitely the biggest, juiciest berries we've ever had and perfectly sweet or tart tasting, depending on how blue or red we picked them. The best part about our new favorite berry picking place? It's owned by a family of dear friends from our church! I like to protect our anonymity a bit on the blog, so I won't write the farm's name or location here, but I strongly urge you to get this info from me and make a visit if you're looking to go berry picking! We'd love to promote our friends' new business, especially since they're doing such a stellar job running it so far!
Seriously, check out these blueberries. They're the size of quarters!
I told our friends that they should not only weigh the bags of berries people pick, but also the pickers before and after! We sampled our fill-- mostly from Delia stuffing them into her mouth, and then ours, with the exclamation, "You gotta try THESE!"
Forgive me for being pretty bossy in this post-- first telling you where you must pick your blueberries and next telling you that you must make this recipe I discovered and fell in love with this winter:
Blueberry Buckle
.
INGREDIENTS:
1/4 cup butter, softened3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 cups fresh blueberries
.
TOPPING:
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup cold butter
.
DIRECTIONS:
1. In a small mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in the egg. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Fold in the blueberries. Pour into greased 9-in. square baking pan.
2. For topping, combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon in a bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over blueberry mixture. Bake at 375 degrees for 45-60 minutes (recipe says 45, but mine always takes closer to an hour) or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.





1 comment:
ok, I just messaged you about the info for the park. Now I also need the info for the blueberry picking. :)
Post a Comment