Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

We were blessed to spend this Thanksgiving in the company of dear friends.  When Amy heard a few weeks ago that we were without plans for the holiday, she quickly invited us to join her family.  And today was just perfect-- delicious food, nice conversation, fun game-playing, an engaging activity for the kids, movie watching and even an hour of play outside on our gorgeous day.  Nothing like a good day with loved ones to remind you of all you have to thank God for!






In this Thanksgiving post, I thought I'd share what each member of the family said when we talked about what we are most thankful for this year.  This conversation is a tradition started in Dave's family and remains one of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving.

Delia: "I'm thankful for the beautiful world God created."
Ella:  "I'm thankful that we live in the time when we do when things are not too hard." (We've been talking and reading a lot about the Pilgrims lately!)
Jen:  "In a year where the paths were many, I'm thankful for the voice of God to give direction.  We started the year wondering what church we were being called to serve at and where we were supposed to live.  God answered clearly.  As I sought his will for my own future, he has put me on a path that seems to be the perfect fit.  He nudged me into a church leadership role that still feels way out of my comfort zone most weeks, but he continues to provide whatever I need to do the job.  I'm thankful that we serve a God who knows the plans he has for us, who's actively involved in our lives and gives guidance and help when and where he calls us."
Dave: "It seems that in years past we've been thankful for the growth of our family in terms of numbers.  This year I'm thankful for our family's growth in terms of learning.  Delia has taken huge strides in her reading.  Ella's talents continue to develop on the piano.  Jen is working hard at Bible Study leading and college course taking and is learning a lot.  I'm not sure if this is actually thankfulness or pride, but it's what I celebrate this year."

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Yay, yay, yay! So happy that you could join us and that you had a beautiful day in Napa!