Monday, April 15, 2013

Senioritis and Faith

Remember that last quarter of high school?  You had already been accepted into college, the scholarships were secure.  The motivation to keep pushing through and doing your very best diminished, especially as your calendar filled up with fun almost-summer things to do.  This week I'm having deja vu.  Oh how hard it is to endure the completion of hard work-- especially when the goal for which it is being done is already met!   The countdown is on: 2 more weeks of classes, 1 more quiz, 4 more discussion answers, 3 more papers!

On Thursday I interviewed for and was immediately offered a job to teach preschool five mornings a week at the girls' school.  I'll work for about 5 hours each day, getting home a few hours before the kids get off the afternoon bus.  It's the ideal part-time schedule.  Plus, I'll continue to have holidays, weekends and summers off with the girls.  I have been letting the thought, "I'm an official teacher again!" sink in for 4 days now and it makes my heart jump each time it floats across my mind.

I could write a novel about how God unfolds his plans and how I see so many pieces of my past lining up just for this (that my first job out of college was teaching preschool, that God called me to lead Bible Study this year and taught me about trusting in his strength and power to do a job I'm not equipped to do on my own, that I obsessively record and mourn my own children's passing through that super fun 3-5 year old stage, the list goes on...).

With both the girls in school full time next year, we knew two years ago already that I had to figure something out.  But, I did not want just any job that brought in a paycheck.  Whatever my next step was, it had to be a career move-- something I'd find joy and purpose in doing until I retired from it.  What an absolute miracle it's been to clearly hear God giving direction through this whole process.  When hurdles appeared (like needing all these ECE credits before I could even apply!), God provided answers.

And his timing was perfect!  With a new building expansion being completed just this summer, the preschool finally gets the classroom space it needs to double its program size and get a bunch of kids off a waiting list.  I couldn't have applied last year, they were not hiring.  My year of classes not only served to bide some time, it was just what I needed to learn and grow passionate about being the best early childhood teacher I can be.

Next year will be full of changes for all of us.  But, with absolute evidence that God is faithful and that he blesses obedience, our prayer continues to be "His will be done."        

No comments: