Sunday, July 20, 2014

Star Wars School

Okay, here's the story about why our youngest is obsessed with Star Wars.  Back in kindergarten, Delia gravitated more to playing with the boys.  When the boys, who would play Star Wars every recess, figured out that Delia could be their queen, they welcomed her with open arms.  I'd meet moms of her male classmates at school who would say, "Oh, you're Delia's mom!  She's the Queen!"  For years now, Delia has been talking about Star Wars-- all of it second-hand stuff she learned from the boys.  She knew about "Dark Vader" and "Light Savers" and that wrinkly guy who talks funny.

Well, we decided that for the week of her 7th birthday we'd finally treat her to a little (old) Star Wars movie marathon (this was actually a treat for me too, since I've never seen them).  For one week Star Wars became our life.  Yes, this is the most violent and intense thing the girls have ever watched, but Dave pressed pause many times to explain things and check that they were doing all right.  

Perfectly timed with the movie marathon was the arrival of a couple Star Wars birthday presents.  Auntie Kris and family sent this pack of Star Wars characters.  They have been getting played with every single day, but not in the way you might imagine.  They don't fight and no one dies.  Instead they do things like go to Star Wars School...



The girls told me that in this scenario Han, Luke, R2D2, and CP3O are learning about how to use a Lightsaber.  Darth Vader is the teacher and Chewbacca is the TA.  The Star Wars guys have been busy doing lots of other things I don't have pictures of too-- like attending a performance that Ballerina Barbie put on.  

Dave and I are quite amused!

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

And I am also amused!