Last month I took a trip to see my good friends Dorina and Teri. Inspired by some cute decor in their homes and some bold color furniture they easily painted themselves, I came home with this wild idea that I would give our pretty-much-unchanged-in-16-years bedroom a makeover. Are you like me? Once you get the idea that something in your house has to be improved, all you see anymore are the flaws? I started viewing our room with different eyes and realizing things like, "Oh wow, that picture frame has been on my dresser since college" or "These old, broken, non-matching nightstands hold a lamp, but can't do much else."
The changes I have been slowly making over the past month have included: new wall art, new bedding, new nightstands, new frames for pictures, new arrangements for those frames...
And this long weekend's big project: painting our old dressers this fun teal color. The dressers Dave and I have always used belonged once to his Grandma. We took them when we got married, thinking, "Free furniture!" and never planned to use them very long. Well, it turns out that thousands of dollars for new bedroom furniture have never just turned up, so 16 years later, here we are still using them. Since they are so old, the wood is good quality and they function totally fine. It was just time for an update.
I painted them today using a couple coats of chalk paint and wax. It was just as easy to use as everyone raves and I'm very pleased with the end product.
I love laying on our fluffy new bedding, looking up at the newly arranged pictures and admiring our fresh and colorful bedroom! I wonder why I didn't tackle this sooner...and what house project will catch my eye next! ;)
2 comments:
Super cute, Jen! The master bedroom seems to come last for us old, married couples…way to go for giving it some beautiful attention! It looks fantastic! :)
That bedroom set is 65 years old! I showed my Mom the picture that you had sent to my phone. She said that they paid $300 for the set. You have given it new life. Love the color!
MOM
Post a Comment