Monday, July 31, 2017

Goodbye, Michigan

Heather has an exciting future in front of her!  Engaged to Andrew, who has family and a job already secured out West, Heather looks forward to a wedding AND a move this year!  We're thrilled for her, but had the bittersweet realization that this was probably our last trip to Michigan.  As kids, we grew up summer vacationing here.  Dave and I lived here for 7 years during those college and seminary years.  Michigan is where our marriage began.  Every other year for 14 years now, we've gone back to visit Heather and all those memories.  Heather was awesome about giving us a grand Michigan Goodbye.


We rode around those familiar roads with the top down in her convertible.


We walked around her town's wonderful downtown on the riverfront one last time.

We HAD to eat dinner and apple dumplings a'la mode at Russ'!


We made one last visit to Grand Haven, where we walked the channel, ate ice cream, watched the sun set, and...



Relived one of the most important and romantic memories Dave and I share-- the Dancing Fountain!!! (Kidding!)



We walked around Calvin College one more time and said goodbye...well, until the girls decide to attend here in 6-8 years! ;)


I actually really liked seeing the changes that have been made to the Nature Preserve, where I used to give tours to elementary classes when I was an education student here.  After Calvin, we also visited Bakker Book House one last time.



We spent a night on Reeds Lake, eating ice cream again, catching lightning bugs and strolling around the yacht club.



And on our way out, we stopped at Holland State Beach, the one my mom would bring us kids to every single summer.  We said our goodbyes to Heather and Michigan with Big Red behind us.  It was a great week in Michigan.  While a part of me is sad that the place where so many important milestones in our lives happened won't be one we see on a regular basis anymore, I celebrate an exciting new adventure for my sister and a beautiful new state to explore and make memories in!

No comments: