Saturday, April 25, 2020

Losses and Joys

Welcome to our Snapshot of Quarantine, the 3rd installment!  The past few weeks of life have included much of our same predicable routine-- distance learning, reading, watching movies, taking walks, doing puzzles, and completing chores.  My house and yard have never been so pristine!  Except for the never ending parade of dishes marching across my counter.  SO MANY CUPS.

The things that were different about life these past 2 weeks, though, were the losses we felt more acutely as their dates came and went on the April calendar.  I had to acknowledge it and whine a bit with my current letter board. ;)



Over Spring Break, we were excited to take the kids to Hamilton for an early birthday present for Ella.  Not only did that obviously get cancelled, but the SF production of Hamilton has officially ended all shows for this city, so we're not sure when or how we'll see it again.  As King George would say, "I'm so blue".  We tried to cheer ourselves up by dressing up and playing Hamilton trivia Kahoot on the day we would have been at the play.  Not pictured here is camera-shy Ella playing the part of Eliza in one of my old bridesmaid dresses!



Then this weekend the biggest blow yet-- Aladdin.  Delia has made it clear that the middle school play was expected to be the best part of her year.  At the beginning of the year, she may have even said something like, "Fine, I'll endure 7th grade.  But only because of the play!"  She was thrilled about her part and continued to practice in hope, but alas the show did not go on as planned.  I tried to cheer her up on Opening Night with a little 3 Wishes gift.  She got to pick our dinner, our entertainment for the night, and one small treat.  He wishes included steak and asparagus on the grill, a long walk to the local ice cream shop, and a new book to read.  I did not paint myself blue, as one friend suggested I do, to deliver the genie lamp to her! ;)



Ella learned yesterday of the closing of Mount Hermon for the summer, so it was yet another blow for her first year at HiCamp to be cancelled.  It was a 1-2-3 knockout this month!  BUT, I am so proud of my girls' resilience and attitudes!  On her own, Ella chalked this art work on our driveway, impressing and challenging me with the message to keep giving thanks, no matter what our circumstances.


And of course she's right!  Each day continues to bring blessings.  Friends drop off flower bouquets and gift certificates to local restaurants, and "Corona Care Packages" (how cute is this?!).

 Distance learning continues to go just swell.  In fact, I suspect we'll actually miss the days of being able to do Geometry in the hammock!

Our church continues to reach lots of people each Sunday.  Dave continues to get positive feedback and encouragement.  Our staff continues to find creative ways to engage in ministry-- including keeping GEMS Sunday on the calendar and having our girls lead the worship from a prerecorded distance.

Our small town continues to pull together.  People out enjoying our beautiful spring weather on the streets are abundant and friendly.  In our attempts to seek out and support all the local businesses, we've found some fun news ones-- including a yummy sushi place!  Who knew our little town had a legit sushi restaurant?  We'll try to keep our eyes trained on the good stuff.  :)

1 comment:

Barbara Vander Meulen said...

So many disappointments, and so much encouragement. Jen, I love your creative ideas to keep spirits up and positive. Ella and Delia will always remember this strange time that we are living in right now. So sorry that Delia's play was cancelled. I'm sure that she would have excelled in her part! Ella is such a great artist! I thought that was a poster until I read that she created that picture on your sidewalk. And..your girls are very daring in trying new foods like sushi! It looks like you are all making the best of this time. Dad and I send our love to each of you. Keep up the positive attitudes. Love, MOM