I must confess that I've been having a hard time with a summer that has no plans on the calendar. No time with far away family. No baseball games. No visits to National Parks. No camping, Mount Hermon, service trips, or hikes scheduled. Summer is all about travel, being with the people we love, crossing cool things off our bucket lists, and enjoying experiences that cause simultaneous growth and recharge. Coping with these losses, re-calibrating my expectations, and ultimately accepting another season of sitting home has admittedly been a challenge.
It has been some comfort to relive some of the memories we've made in God's good creation over the years. I amuse myself by typing "waterfall" or "wildlife" or "sunset" or "redwood" into the blog search bar and feel thankful for all the glimpses we've had in the past of God's general revelation through creation.
One day, my daily devotion even assigned me the "homework" of worshiping God through experiencing nature-- suggesting I listen to ocean waves, chase a sunset, watch birds, hike through a forest and admire the leaves, etc. Instead I spent a long time digging up old pictures and creating these collages of:
bald eagles
moose
whales
monarch butterflies
sea turtles
otters
seal pups
pelicans
banana slugs
ladybug nests
Joshua trees
cholla cactus
waterfalls
rainbow eucalyptus groves
blow holes
black sand beaches
red rocks
sun flowers
poppies
Monterey's famous "purple carpet"
columbine
fields of wildflowers
glassy streams
rushing rapids
sunsets
turquoise mountain lakes
tufa towers
volcanoes
hot springs
coastal redwoods
trees impossibly growing from rocks
tide pools
snow-capped mountain ranges
sea glass
rainbows
and shimmering Great Lakes
This summer may be a dormant one, much to my disappointment, but I remind myself that God's glory in nature awaits our exploration in the future!
No comments:
Post a Comment