One of the fun ways my girls have found to connect with their friends during this strange season is through the video game Among Us. This is like a murder mystery that you can play remotely. As your character (a funny looking space guy) moves around "completing tasks", you are in danger of being murdered by the designated "imposter". You have to figure out, using the clues you have, who is most "sus" and then go to a meeting and eliminate who you think is the murderer. While I cannot play this game for the hours that my kids can, Dave and I do join in from time to time, just to keep tabs on our kids' interests. ;)
Well, in typical Ella and Delia fashion, they found a way to turn this video game into a night of creative fun! On Halloween night, they hosted a live Among Us party outside at a friend's house. They created real tasks to complete, they assigned people to be the imposter, they even told everyone to come in their own version of the space guy's costume. (Ella went with a paper mache helmet that took DAYS to craft.) Sometimes I fret about how attached my kids are to their friends via a screen, but then I see that turn into something redemptive and inventive and I feel alright.
Eighteen kids were able to come to the party on Halloween night! Another awesome thing about this game is that it has merged 3 random friend groups into one: Delia's friends, Ella's friends, and Ella's boyfriend's friends! And they are all GREAT kids! What a fun mix! (Sorry for the blurry pic.)
Among Us socks were among the goodies Sinterklaas left in the klompies this year.
And as I dodged COVID this whole fall, achieving my goal to make it to Christmas Break healthy, though many around me went down, this had me cracking up! If you know, you know.




No comments:
Post a Comment