Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Delia's Dichotomy

How can a girl...
-who happily jumps off of things taller than her (including the top bunk, once)
-who plunges her arm, up the elbow (higher if I didn't grab her), into each fountain we pass in Yerba Buena
-who loves to play with bugs and has to be told, "Please leave that bee alone"
-who strikes up conversations with random strangers
-who takes off to hug each dog she sees (even ran after a coyote, once)
-who heads straight for the tallest slides and climbing ladders at the park
-who doesn't seem to have a good enough grasp of remorse because we can't find a punishment effective enough
-who can't be wrestled hard enough, flung upside-down vigorously enough or swung around enough dizzying times
. Still be scared to tears of:
-the bubbles I blow when chewing gum
-"The Yodeling Veterinarian of the Alps" song from Veggie Tales
-clowns and mascots
-the flush in a public potty
-rides
-a butterfly landing on or near her
-bouncy houses
-the Flubber when it "stretches too much" or "is squeaky"
-the gong-playing gorilla in her ABC Animal Orchestra book?
.
I don't get it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Because...she's her father's daughter!! That explains it.

MOM

Jonathan's Mom said...

We love you, Delia! :)

Wicker Family said...

I love this post, Jen. I've had many perplexing moments with my own "little paradoxes" but I think Delia takes the cake:-)