Thursday, May 13, 2010

Jen's Tip for Spring Cleaning

There was a time in our lives when we moved every year. An annual cleaning of the place we lived in was a given. Now I am embarrassed to say that there are places in my house that haven't been touched for almost 7 years. Today I stumbled on the perfect solution to getting your ENTIRE house thoroughly cleaned: have new carpet installed! To prepare for the carpet guys this morning, we started moving stuff out on Tuesday. For 2 days we lived in a completely empty house. This meant I could wash walls, ceiling fan blades, the china, the heating ducts and vents. Every single piece of furniture was moved out and thus dusted, every closet purged, every couch vacuumed front to back. Take my advice and order your new carpet today-- your home will never be cleaner! :)
.
Besides the luxurious new carpeting, you can also enjoy:
Playing soccer in the empty rooms.

Eating meals "picnic style" on the old carpeting and not worrying about spilling a thing.

Finding a new reading spot in the jumble of furniture on the patio.

And rolling around making carpet angels in the plush new shag.

And if you don't think you can afford my spring cleaning tip, do what we did: make your major credit card one that gives you points for purchases. Forget that it does this for about 10 years, then rejoice when you realize you can redeem your gazillion points for Lowe's gift cards!
.
Kidding aside, the house is close to being put back together and I couldn't be happier. The new carpet is just perfect. I'm about to fill up our calendar with people visiting because I can't wait to show it off!

4 comments:

Jonathan's Mom said...

It looks so good! I'm so glad you took pictures of the girls playing in the empty rooms. This will be a fun milestone, and they'll enjoy looking back at how young they were. :)

Anonymous said...

Looks great! You can mark us on the calendar for July - can't wait. Enjoy the new plush carpeting! I love the picture of Delia reading in the chair - outside.

MOM

Wicker Family said...

Can you say parallel lives? I, too, have moved every 1, 2, or 3 years for the last (almost 12) years so in Sunnyside (our longest stay at 4.5 years), I learned the meaning of "spring cleaning". And just this week I made "the list" of closets, drawers, & cabinets that need some TLC. And while I like your advice;-) I don't think we'll be able to take it. (Lloyd just walked in with the invitation to Ella's party.)

Lyndsay said...

So funny, we just went through the exact same thing. We've moved every 2 years until we moved back to Ripon. We just got new carpet over spring break and it felt so good to clean and purge!