Besides the fellowship, another thing I love about Mount Hermon is the cabin we always stay in, which is a complete retreat in the woods. I've written before about the bubbling brook that flows right beneath it, the sound of which soothes us to sleep each night. I love looking out our wall of windows and seeing nothing but giant trees. On the path up to our little cabin in the woods this year, we found the infamous Mount Hermon banana slug every day.
I believe banana slugs are only found in this coastal region of California. They are fat and can stretch out to several inches long, or squish up into a ball. They are bright yellow and secrete a substance a lot like rubber cement. They are fascinating and always a treat to find!
It is known around Mount Hermon that if you are to spot the special banana slug, the thing to do is kiss it! Since we were finding so many this week and getting braver about touching and holding them, slime and all, Ella decided this was the year to take the dare!
Yes, Ella is now a member of Mount Hermon's "I Kissed a Banana Slug Club"! She thought it was hilarious that she did such a crazy thing and proudly brags about it now.
To remember our year of abundant banana slugs and Ella's oozy lip lock, the girls got some chocolate slug suckers from the bookshop. Oh, the things you'll do at summer camp!
No comments:
Post a Comment