Thursday, June 23, 2011

Happy Campers

From these continuous vacation posts, you are probably getting an idea of what our summer calendar looks like.  You are right to assume that we jump from one fun thing to the next with few days in between.  This week, it was our family camping trip to Pinecrest.  Since we soared into triple digits here this week, we couldn't have been happier to drive off into the mountains where it was 30 degrees cooler.


Our campsite this year was huge!  The girls had ample room to run around and one giant log provided hours of pretend play-- circus tight rope, pirate's plank, gymnast's beam. We also attracted some little neighbor campers to our site, so the girls had fun playing with some new buddies.
 

We passed lots of time playing cards, as you are supposed to do when camping.  For this stage of life, it's Crazy 8s, War, Go Fish and Uno.  I can't wait for the day when we can introduce the girls to competitive games of Canasta, Euchre and Phase 10.


I'm actually a super organized packer, but since I've packed up the whole family three times in one month now, I was a little sloppier this time around.  I ended up forgetting all the flashlights and batteries for lanterns.  When the sun set, our fun had to be done...or so we thought.  We found a very entertaining game involving a black tent, a camera flash and some surprise goofy faces.  Here's one I captured from Ella in our no-lights fun!


 The big thing we tackled this year was a hike around the entire lake.  I do mean BIG-- the hike was 4.2 miles, the longest one the girls have ever taken unassisted.  They had their moments, but mostly they were troopers and we are encouraged that longer hikes will continue to be in our family's future!


Ella found a cool walking stick and was inspired to strike some interesting "hiker girl" poses with it!


The sights of the hike made it a pleasurable one.  The terrain was varied, from needle covered forest trails to rock climbing in the sun.  Several times we had to either plan careful steps on rocks, or, like Delia, just plunge our shoes into bubbly streams of snow-melt.  A lovely view of the blue mountain lake went with us the entire hike.


Pinecrest Lake is actually a dammed river.  Our favorite was the footbridge over the roaring river that feeds into the lake.




The hike was also enhanced by hundreds of Swallowtails fluttering around.  We often plan destinations that boast migrating Monarchs, but this week in Pinecrest saw more butterflies than any other intentional butterfly hike we've gone on.  Dave said he felt like he was in a butterfly garden.


After such a long, hot hike, we enjoyed a dip in the cool lake.



Again, I'm serious about the word "cool".  The water was a refreshing 55 degrees.  You can actually see some snow on the rocks behind Ella!  How are kids so resilient when it comes to swimming in cold water?  While Dave and I could hardly stand splashing the numbing water on us, the girls charged right in and played all afternoon!


When it comes to setting up a nice camp (well, except for bringing lights for when it gets dark!) and campfire cooking, I have to say we shine.  Good thing, because when it comes to fishing, we're quite lacking.  For our 3rd try, we still didn't get a single bite!  Oh well, I guess there's always next year!

No comments: