Saturday, July 30, 2011

Important People

Thanks to the ease of Facebook, we were able to set up lots of other fun meetings with good friends from our old Chicago and West Michigan homes.


Melissa, Steph and Shannon were my best friends all through high school.  My memories of those 4 years consist of things like trips to the mall, sleepovers, riding around in Shannon's convertible, the Bible Study we formed together, after-basketball game gatherings at Houlihans, youth group trips and outings downtown.  God gave me a great gift when we placed these girls in my life during those formative years.  What fun it was to reunite and catch up!  I'm delighted that my friends are happy and have jobs and families that reward and give them purpose.  I love how everyone is in a completely different place in life, yet in many ways they are the same girls, with the same personalities and passions, I was so drawn to in high school. 


We were also blessed to spend time with both of Dave's grandmas.  They were interested in our girls and hearing about what our life and ministry is like.  I'm thanking God that these women of God raised children (Dave's parents) to love and serve him and that now that legacy continues. 
.

I didn't get a picture, but another wonderful visit was with my old neighbors.  I grew up in the same house my whole life and we had a wonderful couple, Michael and Debbie, with their son, Rob, who lived next door and always helped my single mom in any way they could.  They were good friends for decades and it warmed my heart to reconnect with them and hear all about the lovely young family who now reside in the home I grew up in.  They are taking good care of this new family now too!  Fun to show the girls my old house too-- "There's the tree Mommy and Daddy took pictures in front of before prom!" or "That's the driveway I learned to ride my bike down!" or "The bushes your grandma planted are HUGE now!"


In Michigan we were able to see our very dear friends, Nick and Amy and their son Benjamin (Baby Sister is due Aug. 24).  How do I summarize the friendship we've had with Nick and Amy over the years?  Dave's good friends from Trinity, his classmates at seminary, the couple we did nothing without for the last years of school, our move-across-the-country partners, ministry confidants, crazy mail senders and some of the best people we know.  Nick and Amy will always hold a special place in our hearts, even if we get to see them very rarely.  We visited their home, saw Nick's latest home projects, shared lunch and spent the afternoon at the beach.  When I snapped the picture below, they said it's for when the kids are at Trinity together!


Starting with our travels to LA in May, then Mount Hermon and ending with this trip full of friends and family in the Midwest: I was reflecting on how this summer has been one full of good visits with each of our most important people.

1 comment:

Wicker Family said...

What an amazing trip! (See all my new commment? I must have more time on my hands with 2 kids going to school now;-)) Looks like your midwest adventure was fabulous! It was so fun to see Nick & Amy in your pictures. Thanks for sharing!