Since our nearest Russ' is over 2,282 miles away and I'm not willing to drive the 33 hours and 43 minutes (I Mapquested it) to get my favorite dessert in the whole wide world, I've had to learn how to make my own apple dumplings. I've tried a few different recipes and this one seems to be the best. So, I'd love to share it with the rest of you who don't have access to the Dutch goodness of Russ' Restaurant (and if you do, just go there and pay the $3 to have them make it for you! :)
Just as Good as Russ' Apple Dumplings
Pre-made pie dough (I go with the Pillsbury pie crusts in the refrigerated section, you get two in a box)
2 large or 4 small apples, peeled and cored.
1 Tbs. cinnamon
1 cup sugar
1 Tbs. butter, cut into small pieces
1 egg, beaten with a splash of water to make egg wash
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If using small apples, cut and roll dough into pieces twice the size of the apple. If using large apples, just use the whole crust. Place apple in the center of the dough. Mix the cinnamon and sugar. Pour 1/4 of the cinnamon sugar mix (for small apples) or 1/2 the mix (for large apples) down the center of the apple. Sprinkle a little on top and around the apple too. Top with pieces of butter. Egg wash the corners of the dough. Fold opposite corners of the dough over the apple and seal the seams. Egg wash the whole dumpling. Place dumpling on a baking sheet and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or when apple is soft. Top with caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt.

1 comment:
Nice apple dumplings!
We just had a "date night" at Russ'. Some very nice older people give us a $25 Russ' gift card each October, and Nick and I celebrate by our "Russ' extraveganza"! We order anything and everything we want-appetizers, meal, pumpkin pie cappacinos, you know! And yes, it usually comes in under $25 anyway. :)
Happy November to you!
And we are baptizing Eliza this weekend, so the whole Bowling clan is here, and my family too. Craziness!
Amy
Post a Comment