Thursday, May 24, 2012

How I Plan to Keep My Sanity:

"DEEEEEELIAAA!!!"

"I'm bored..."

"Moooooommy, she just ______ (fill in the blank)!" 

These are things I just know I'm going to hear in this first week of summer.  And because I hate getting to the end of a day and realizing all I did was yell and scold, I've been readying myself and building up my arsenal of summer stay-home activities.  During the school year, the girls earn money with a behavior and chore sticker chart, and I decided to take a little break from that.  Pinterest gave me some great new ideas and the management plan I decided on was a bunch of those all kinda squished into one.  It rewards the kids with (hopefully weekly) fun family activities by requiring them to do some chores, do some school stuff and have the right behavior/attitude each day.  After I introduced it, Ella immediately asked, "Cool!  Can I do some math right away?" (um, !!!).  I'm excited about and have high hopes for this new Penny Jar system.  Maybe I'll be able to lounge in the sun, reading and sipping a cold drink while the girls independently and enthusiastically complete their chores and academic tasks!

Nah, I'm sure it's not THAT good! :)


The Penny Jar
Put a penny in the jar for each task you complete each day...

Delia
-Feed Lily
-Help put toys away
-Clear table
-Do alphabet flash cards or activities for 15 minutes
-Fill one sheet with letters you practice writing
-Eat your meals
-Get through the day obeying, being kind and not whining

Ella
-Feed Lily
-Make the bed
-Set the table
-Play Fact Master for 15 minutes
-Write and illustrate one journal question in a complete sentence
-Read one (not too easy) book or chapter
-Practice piano for at least 20 minutes
-Get through the day without bossing or yelling at your sister

Prizes-- Fill the jar then roll the dice to see which one we do!
1. Stay up later switching bunk beds or having a sleepover
2. Go out for ice cream
3. Take a long family bike ride
4. Movie night-- KIDS' CHOICE!
5. Go to the park-- KIDS' CHOICE!
6. Go to the craft store and pick out a new project

(I'm writing this post for the few friends who asked to see it and here are a few notes:  One, I made our penny jar super small, so it would fill quickly and rewards could be won each week.  Two, I had the girls help choose their own prizes, and surprisingly, all the free ones were their ideas!)

1 comment:

Linking Lines said...

This is a great idea! I stole your ideas and am implementing them today!