This week Delia got her cast off! This second broken arm has been such a loooooong journey, we're definitely celebrating the end in sight!
This wonderful lady in the orthopedic casting department has put on and taken off at least 8 different colored casts this past year. She is lovely, but on Tuesday I told her, "Have a nice life! We hope to NEVER see you again!"
With Delia's latest cast removed, we followed our familiar routine of heading to radiology. Back in the doctor's office, we learned that Delia has "laid down some serious bone" and her break is looking the best it has in a long time! What an answer to prayer!!! Previous x-rays showed a gap in the bones, but here you can see that, though there is slight angulation (like a knob on a tree trunk our doc said), the bones have found one another and started to finally regrow. We were given permission to switch from a hard cast to a velcro brace and instruction to be gentle, while still working the arm as much as possible to loosen up the stiff muscles.
With the cast off, I was finally able to see Delia's surgery marks too. They are looking pretty good! We excited to be "Arm Scar Buddies".
What I was most excited about, though, was getting that dried out, nasty arm into a bath! This is something fun we learned the last time: when you put skin in water that has not been in water for months and months, it gets SUPER wrinkly super fast! Don't recommend trying it, necessarily, just a fun fact for you to file away! :)
Oh how I pray that this is the last Arm Update post I will ever write! We know there are worse things in life to have to deal with and we are so thankful that God walked us through this ordeal, but I'd be happy to not step foot in our hospital now for a very long time.
No comments:
Post a Comment