As we made our way home from New Mexico last year, it killed me to drive right by the Grand Canyon and not stop and see it. No, I have never been to this Wonder of the World, and yes, I use the term "right by" loosely as it's actually about a 4 hour round trip detour from the highway. So, this year we worked it out to make a day at the Grand Canyon and a night in a hotel in Arizona a part of our trip.
As any travel blog will tell you, and I know because I've read quite a few of them trying to get the best ideas for how to fully experience the Grand Canyon in a matter of hours, no picture will do this thing justice. No matter what your camera's color saturation or panoramic setting, you simply will not capture and be able to share its grandeur and beauty. I did still try, but the best pictures of it are the ones in my head.
It worked perfectly for our group to use the 4 hours we had at the Grand Canyon to hike the 3 mile trail along the South Rim. On this path we could stay together and enjoy the view the entire time we walked. The major vista points had guardrails and large crowds. But the entire Grand Canyon is not fenced in. There were dozens of points to just climb out on the edge of a cliff and feel like you were going to die on top of the world. Needless to say, a very tight grip was kept on Delia the Adventurer!
I had major heart palpitations watching our crazy youth group kids out on these ledges, but God was watching over us and we didn't lose a single student into the canyon. :)
Making this stop meant our next day of driving was a big one, but it was SO worth it! What a majestic way to end a blessed week!!






No comments:
Post a Comment