This year I volunteered to teach Delia's 4th grade class for our church's girls' ministry. It started with the realization that with Delia joining this group and Dave having meetings every Monday, I would be sitting home alone while my entire family was at church. There was maybe a tiny bit of obligation and guilt when I agreed to do it.
But, aren't those the times that God uses to work on your heart the most? Being a part of this ministry has been one of the best blessings of MY school year. I have love, love, loved my sweet class of girls and we've had a blast together doing everything from bowling outings to craft projects to science experiments to Bible badges to great deep discussion about how you know if you're ready to make your Profession of Faith.
The Beppe (Friesan for Grandma) of one of my girls came to one of our meetings to teach us how to make Banket from scratch and homemade pie crusts to complete our Baking Badge one night.
At that same meeting, the 6th graders did their Cake Decorating Badge and Ella came home with these edible works of art.
One Sunday is set aside for recognition of this girls ministry. We play a special part in leading the morning worship service. Ella had singing and speaking parts. My 4th grade class served as greeters and did it with enthusiasm you've never seen before-- hunting people down to shake their hands, keeping a count of how many people we greeted, having a celebratory dance party right in the narthex when we hit over 200... :)
Our last meeting together is a Mother/Daughter Night. This year the theme was Circus, so my 4th graders dressed as animals (making me their tamer, I guess?), and Ella's class was tightrope walkers. There were also clowns, strongest women, and mimes. It was a great theme and a fun night. I enjoyed calling my fantastic girls to the stage to brag on and honor them with some personalized awards.
My group of girls blessed me more than I was expecting, but so did getting to know this lovely group of ladies who served as fellow teachers! We had a lot of fun together this year!




No comments:
Post a Comment