Thursday, May 25, 2017

Thankful and Sad on This Last Day

It's not Thanksgiving, but I feel the end of May is always another appropriate time to pause and give thanks for all the ways we've been blessed throughout the school year.

Thankful for a dream team of teachers who made every day in my classroom a fun, joy-filled one-- even the hard days where the student challenges were considerable or the news about our futures discouraging.  I will not be working with this team again, as our preschool program grows and I've been assigned to partner with and mentor a new teacher.  I am sad, but so so so thankful for the years I've had with my current team and the million things I've learned from my partner and dear friend Liz these past 4 years.

Thankful for an excellent 6th grade year for Ella with highlights that included getting elected to Student Council, playing on the basketball team, singing in the choir, maintaining a straight A average, having her first boy like her, and really bonding with a solid group of kind girlfriends whose positive influence I just praise God for.  I remember middle school being full of drama and anxiety, but Ella has blossomed and flourished in this awkward stage.  Tonight I had teachers find me at graduation to tell me what a great representative she is of our school and our family.  I couldn't be more proud.
   

Thankful that Delia was near tears telling her beloved teacher goodbye today.  Miss S. has rocketed to the top of our "Favorite Teachers" list with all her humor, creativity, encouragement, and unconventional ways of making learning fun.  At her end of the year awards ceremony, Delia was presented with the Purity Award, for being innocent, playful and pure of heart.  The verse 2 Timothy 2:22 ("Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.") was read over her.


Some years we almost physically feel the burden of the school schedule and are more than ready to say goodbye to it all and jump into summer's relaxation and fun activities.  This year it definitely feels more bittersweet.  We all had our best something-- my best class of students and my best team of co-workers, Ella's best year of social growth and extra-curricular exploration, and Delia's best teacher since kindergarten.  Thankful for all these "bests" and all the ways we've each learned and grown this school year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, so proud of these girls that I am honored to call granddaughters!

Love, Grandma