Wednesday, June 29, 2011

So Blue

Today Ella is spending the day at Chloe's house, so Delia and I went on a special outing together.  Blueberries are actually the one fruit Ella does not like, but they are one of Delia's favorites, so we went berry picking!  Delia was a great blueberry picking partner and had me laughing all morning with her enthusiasm.




Though we spent over an hour in the fields, we took just over a pound of blueberries home.  Why?  Delia's picking strategy was "put one in my mouth, then put one in my bucket."  Then, when I examined her empty bucket and asked, "Delia where are all your blueberries?" she said, "Oh, I accidentally ate them." (Very Blueberries for Sal!)


Picking blueberries is actually hard work!  There are about 10 different shades of green/red/blue/purple and getting ones that were perfectly sweet and ripe was tricky.  When Delia would find, and sample, a clump of those darkest blue ones, she'd exclaim, "Mom! You gotta try these!"


It's been a while since I've shared a recipe and because I'll be using this one in the next few days, thought I'd pass it along.  For years I searched for an outstanding muffin recipe.  This one, from Jetta, is my new favorite!

Berry Best Blueberry Muffins

1 cup sugar
1 Tbs. soft butter
1 egg
1 cup sour cream
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
dash salt
1 1/2- 2 cups blueberries.

Sift dry ingredients together.  Mix wet ingredients.  Combine.  Fold in blueberries.  Pour into greased or papered muffin pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until tops of muffins are set.  Makes 1 dozen muffins.  (These muffins are best eaten warm and fresh, straight from the oven. When they rest even a day, they get a little mushy.)

2 comments:

Anna Keizer said...

Awesome post! I am in complete agreement re: Delia's picking strategy, too. :-) Also, I can personally attest that those muffins are indeed the very best blueberry muffins I have ever tasted!

Anonymous said...

Jen, I used your recipe over the weekend - Dad loved them! They really are delicious.

Mom