Friday, June 1, 2012

I am an Awesome Mom

The Chevy's that we had Ella's pre-birthday dinner at in Monterey a few days ago had a Chuck E. Cheese right next to it.  When the girls saw it they said, "We know that place!  We see the commercials!  That is a kid restaurant!"  Having no desire to ever spend any money on the type of food and entertainment Chuck E. Cheese offers, I gave the girls this explanation: "Oh yes, that restaurant is for kids.  They serve pizza and they have lots of games and some kids think it's pretty fun.  But, they also have a guy dressed up as a giant mouse who roams around and talks to you."  Just as I knew she would, Delia immediately said, "I don't ever want to see those scary guys!  I don't ever want to go there!"  And with that, I gave myself a little pat on the back for taking Chuck E. Cheese off the table before it ever even became a request.

One of the great delights in a getting a hotel room is mixing up our sleeping arrangements.  Dave and I each get to cuddle with one of the girls and it's a sweet time.  I got Delia on Monterey night and smiled as she rubbed my back while we were falling asleep.  During the night she was super restless, though, thrashing around the bed and even yelling out at some points.  In the morning I asked her what happened and she told me about her horrible nightmare.  "I dreamed the scary Chuck E. Cheese guy was chasing me around!"  In my efforts to avoid crappy pizza and money-wasting arcade games, I gave my daughter nightmares.  Great. I got the Mom of the Year Award all sewed up!


And in the spirit of keepin' it real, thought I share an honest picture to go with my honest story.  In this popular photo spot at the aquarium, Ella is pretending to be a beautiful mermaid while Delia is toooo tired to possibly have ANOTHER picture taken (Guess why she's tired?  Yep, because she was too busy being chased by nightmarish Chuck E. Cheese guys to sleep!)  Need a new screensaver, Grandpa? :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen- I hated Chuck E Cheese too!Here are some of the prime reasons -
1.Thousands of little kids scurring around like rats released from a cage all at one time and running into my knees.
2.Spending my retirement fund on "food" masquerading as pizza which was little more than wam tomato paste on card board with a photo of cheese on it.
3. Watching the kids dive into a vat of plastic balls, all loaded with germs from the kids with colds whose parents don't know that germs and viruses get transferred that way.
4.Having to stand and watch the kids run around with thousands of tickets to redeem for a penny plastic toy which was promptly lost in our car on the way home causing cascades of tears over the lost prize.

But sometimes it was worth it when I would see my two boys succeeding at playing Skeet ball and getting great joy from that. It is funny how little things that bring joy to your children can over ride your pain of the expierience.

Delia's fear of such things like Chuck E Cheese, is inherited from her dad and he wound up being the Troll at Trinity.

Love Grandpa

Anna Keizer said...

Hahaha!!! I love this post -- and that picture! :-) Jen, for my two cents, you ABSOLUTELY deserve that Mom of the Year award, nightmare or no nightmare. You're an amazing mother & that's a fact!

Jonathan said...

Jen, I'm late to comment here, but I think you ARE an awesome mom, and losing a night's sleep due to nightmares is a small price to pay for avoiding Chuck E. Cheese. ;)

And, yesterday was SO fun with you guys!