Saturday, June 23, 2012

Mount Hermon 2012

After being brought up by another family, a reoccurring theme this year was "Mount Hermon: Better Than Disneyland?"  I would call this a debate, but it wasn't.  One hundred percent of the people who've experienced both said Mount Hermon was indeed better than Disneyland.  This includes all kids.  Which means it includes my girls, who answered without even thinking about it, a second after they were asked.  We had a super time at Disneyland last year, so I really think it's saying something that everyone who's spent a week enjoying the glorious peace, loving fellowship and wacky fun that Mount Hermon offers knows its superiority!  Once again, we just feel so blessed to be a part of this Christian family camp ministry and are already counting down to Mount Hermon 2013!

Here are a few snapshots of our better-than-Disney adventures in Mount Hermon this year:
On our arrival day, we always look forward to the big party on the field house lawn.  Face painting, inflatables, games, a giant picnic and program get us all fired up for the fun week ahead.

Ella made more strides in the pool this summer.  She is now swimming totally without floaties and loves going underwater.  In this little pool, while I laid back relaxing on the steps and chatting with mom friends in the warm sun, she learned how to do handstands and somersaults.  It's so nice to be in this stage-- be assured, it's coming for you too, moms of real little ones! :) 

A favorite part of Mount Hermon for the kids is the time they get to spend in their own programs.  The above pic shows the tradition of all the counselors cheering and exploding out of the building at drop-off time.  At Day Camp/Child Care, the kids are engaged in Bible lessons, do fun activities like slip 'n slide or scavenger hunts, watch wacky skits and sing wacky songs.  Ella and Delia always danced out with huge smiles on their faces, singing the praises of their sweet and crazy counselors.

One of our favorite nights is always s'mores night!  After s'mores, we stayed for something new this year-- whole camp Dance Dance Revolution in the dark with glow sticks.  The girls jumped right into the crowd and busted out their sweet dance moves.  Yes, it was hilarious and awesome.

I always have to take this picture because at home, Delia is our alarm clock.  She needs the least amount of sleep and is always the first one awake.  Well, guess who is the last one out of bed at Mount Hermon?  She and her sister sleep deep, even through lights and noise as I get myself ready.  It's usually only information about all the fun things they'll be doing during the day that finally gets these girls up!

Another best part of Mount Hermon is the time we get to spend with friends.  The group we go with remains unchanged and as the kids get older, it gets better and more fun each year.  This year we ranged in age from kindergarten to middle school.  The older ones look out for the younger ones, with the lower elementary kids growing especially close. (Above: Ella, "K-Love", aka Caleb, Camryn and Michaela)

Something new for us this year was an early morning hike up to Pancake Ridge.  This is offered every year, but the 20 minute, straight-uphill climb never felt worth it in the past.  This year, our first being stroller-free, the kids assured me they could do it.  The reward at the top of the climb is an amazing pancake breakfast.  Fire-grilled pancakes as big as your head with all toppings, fiddle music and pancake-flipping contests are some features.  The best feature is that Pancake Ridge is located in Dave's camp, so he was able to sneak away from Hi Camp and see us!




We got to see Dave a total of 4 times this week.  Thursday is always a favorite day because we get tons of Daddy Time as he spends his day off at our camp.  This year he and I took a nice hike along the Sequoia Trail while the kids were in Day Camp.  Then, as a whole family, we checked out the boats.



Another favorite part of Mount Hermon (do I keep saying that? :) is my hour of quiet time when my morning worship service has ended and my kids are still in their programs.  I spread a blanket on my sunny cabin porch and get to dive into another fabulous book (Gary Schmidt's "Okay for Now" for me this year).  It's amazing what a good book, a good cup of coffee, a patch of warm sun and a view of thousand-year-old redwoods can do for your soul.  I highly recommend it!

Our last night, like our first, ends with a big camp party.  After an outdoor communion service, we all give our smiles a work out as the kids perform their end-of-the-week program.  I was teased this year for "sweeping the program" as both my girls were the ones picked from their classes to be interviewed in the microphone.  I was very proud! :)
  After the program comes the sugar shock!  These kids were cracking me up-- totally freezing, but unable to pass up a snow cone!

It was while we were singing The Revelation Song in a worship service that I thought about how this was supposed to be our last Mount Hermon and the finale to our years of service in California.  When we went through that interview process this winter, Dave and I planned a time line that would include a cross-country move the week following Mount Hermon.  The tears sprang to my eyes as I thanked God, once again, for his plan for our lives and for the clarity with which he revealed that to us this year.  (I think the possibility of this Mount Hermon being our last may have made me a little more long-winded than normal, so thanks for persevering, Reader!)  How blessed we are by this church family and this place!  In some ways, Mount Hermon is a week-long celebration of all our favorite things about our lives.  And yes, I'll take that over a princess or a thrill ride any day!

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Love, love, love this post! I can't tell you how thankful we are that God did not have a cross-country move planned for you following Mt. Hermon. I would have been a mess. :)