It was perfect timing that good friends Jeff and Amy advertised their free tickets to the local Asparagus Festival on a day when we were looking for a little outing. The Asparagus Festival was fun...but kinda strange. The odd things we saw and ate prompted us to play the "What what the weirdest part of your day?" Game on the way home. Though, I suppose we've been to enough of these fairs and festivals to be familiar with the eclectic mix of people and shows they attract!
We waited in long lines to get in. Then we waited for food tickets, then we waited to spend the food tickets and we waited to see shows. It was hot and we did a lot of waiting, which made our free admission extra awesome! :)
The first fun food we tried was deep fried asparagus. You know we love our fresh fruit and veggies and have been trying for years to get the girls to be better vegetable eaters. It's been a real delight that they decided this spring to loooove asparagus. Though fans of the way I cook them, they weren't big on this fried version. More for Dave and me!
We saw two shows and both had the girls squealing with happiness. The first was the Sky Dog show, which featured rescued pups doing frisbee, fly ball and jump rope tricks. The grand finale was Tyson the Skateboarding Bulldog. I guess he's pretty famous on You Tube. The second show was the Sea Lion Encounter where we learned a lot about how sea lions are trained to do certain behaviors.
And here's what won that "What was the weirdest part of your day?" Game...eating asparagus ice cream! Ella was certain she wanted to try this, so we let her! I was only brave enough to try a few licks, but she gobbled the whole thing up. Asparagus is not her new favorite flavor, but she liked it well enough! I found it kinda chunky and asparagus-y.
So, huge thanks to Jeff and Amy! We were so happy to be able to get out and see something new this weekend. And while the festival was fun enough and definitely worthwhile, we're not sure it would have been had we paid to get in!






1 comment:
I love my sweets, but I think I might draw the line at asparagus ice cream! ;-) So glad you guys had fun... and Tyson the Skateboarding Bulldog rocks!
Post a Comment