Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Calvin vs.Trinity

Last 2 posts, friends!  You've done it!  Thank you for persevering and reliving the good times that were had with our family these past few weeks!  I'll reward you with, what I think is, a pretty fun post.  While we were in Michigan, one thing we got to do with Heather was stroll around my old college campus-- Calvin College.  It was fun to show it off to the girls, who are at an age to understand and start dreaming about college choices and what they want to do when they grow up.  Sure enough, a few hours of Calvin was enough to sell it!  Ella even told me as we posed for a picture in front of my old dorm, "Maybe we can take this picture again in 8 years when I'm moving in, Mom!"

Well, Dave was not so down with that.  So, while we were in Chicago we had to spend a morning touring his old college too-- Trinity Christian.  As he had hoped, this made the obvious decision to go to Calvin so much less obvious.  Our kids are truly torn-- Ella asking deep questions like, "When you have two options that are a big deal, how do you know which one to go with?" and Delia making her choice on the spot with eeny-meeny-miny-mo. *

So, here is a side by side comparison of our days at Calvin and Trinity...


Both schools featured unique artwork that you could climb around on.  The girls said The Cheese sculpture at Calvin (above) was more fun.  Calvin: 1, Trinity: 0



While visiting our dorms, I did get that great quote from Ella when we were outside Boer Bennink, but the girls loved hearing about Dave's days as an RA in his dorm (below).  Might have to give it to him.  Calvin: 1, Trinity: 1



Though the Trinity library did have an interesting fountain (below), the Calvin library had FIVE floors, and the top one was children's lit, WITH Delia's favorite book on the shelf!  Major win for Calvin.  Calvin: 2, Trinity: 1



Calvin is also connected to the Seminary, which Dave does obviously hold a special place in his heart for.  At the Seminary, you can feed ducks in the pond and walk across bridges where we told the girls we used to go to kiss on late night walks when Dave would visit me.  No ducks or kissing bridges at Trinity.  Calvin: 3, Trinity: 1


I do feel I need to give Trinity an extra point here for amazing growth.  Dave was in awe walking around and seeing all the new buildings-- especially ones that would have had a huge impact on his major and extra curricular activities, like the chapel and communications building.  He said, "I wish I could go to school here again!" Calvin: 3, Trinity: 2


And of course, each school scores a point for being close to family.  At Calvin, the girls could have dates with Auntie Heather.  At Trinity, a trip to Grandma and Grandpa's for Sunday dinner would take no time at all.  Calvin: 4, Trinity: 3

One last thing, at Calvin's bookshop we stumbled on their summer clearance event and all walked out with sweatshirts, t-shirts, hats, and books-- each under $10, some under $5!  Paid full price for all the Trinity gear Dave bought.  Calvin: 5, Trinity: 3

Well, there you have it!  In my totally unbiased and thorough point scoring system, Calvin is the clear winner! :)

(*Disclaimer: Both schools were the perfect ones for us and we'd be happy with the girls heeding whatever they felt the Lord calling them to do.  In fact, I'm thinking the closer we get to college years, the more I may encourage a choice in California!) 

No comments: