When I was a freshman in high school I got my first U2 CD. It was Achtung Baby and I listened to it over and over again, making U2 one of my favorite bands. In college, older albums like War and Joshua Tree played nonstop in our dorm and apartment, making up the soundtrack of my studies and social life. I have continued to follow this band and learn their big singles by borrowing or occasionally buying their new albums. I have always said that seeing U2 in concert was at the top of my bucket list. But, since I am an older fan and they have had SO many great songs, I was holding out for the farewell tour when they'd be sure to play all my favorites.
I happened to notice that U2 was playing in Chicago during the exact dates that we'd be there. And then I read that this particular tour, their Innocence and Experience Tour, featured a juxtaposition of songs off their new album (which I love as much as any of their older ones!) and a play list of classic songs. When I told Dave, he checked out ticket prices and found some that were pretty reasonable. A few mouse clicks and this item was coming off my bucket list! I can't even put into words how excited I was! And as high as my 23 year long expectations were for this concert, they were far exceeded!
Mom and Dad took the girls for a sleepover (yay for free babysitting!) while Dave and I went on this oh-so-cool date. While waiting for the concert to start, we loved just seeing and being in the United Center!
It was especially neat to see all the Blackhawks Stanley Cup banners!
I have never been to a real concert before and everything about it was awesome-- the energy, the volume of my favorite songs being performed, the freedom to dance and sing along at the top of your lungs, seeing BONO IN PERSON and laughing at the jokes he cracked. Dave and I were saying that this was the perfect concert for us. We fit right in with this crowd, most everyone seeming to be our same age.
There was a main stage and a long runway to a smaller circle stage. The band members kept walking back and forth and performed on both stages. Above the runway was this huge screen that showed some neat effects during various songs.
Favorite songs they did were (off the new album) The Miracle, Every Breaking Wave, Song for Someone, Iris, Raised By Wolves, Cedarwood Road, and (oldies but goodies) Mysterious Ways (!!!), I Will Follow, Bullet the Blue Sky, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Beautiful Day, Pride, With or Without You, I Still Haven't Found, Vertigo, City of Blinding Lights, Sweetest Thing, Even Better Than the Real Thing, Until the End of the World, and The Wanderer. I didn't even need their farewell tour to hear all my favorites! Seriously, it was amazing.
My heart still beats a little faster thinking about this experience. I'm so so so in love with my hubby for making this long-time dream come true and for sharing in the fun of it with me!


No comments:
Post a Comment