A hike around Knight's Ferry was a lovely, but unfortunate, Plan B for us today. Dave is up at the cabin frolicking in 4 inches of brand new snow with the youth group. I'm so happy they got a load of snow last night, but so sad that it meant the roads were too slick for us to drive up and enjoy it for the day with him. So instead of snowmen, we opted for wildflowers. I love this first glimpse of Knight's Ferry one sees when they come around the bend. I never get tired of it!
.

Ella keeps proving to be quite the little hiker. She is completely independent now, evidenced by the "Wait for us Ella!" that I had to keep shouting. She is a great combo of nimble yet careful climber and she does not wear out. Sometimes her and I chose different paths and hers ended up being wiser!
To the girls' great delight, we bought Lily along today. With her tugging on the leash, I couldn't carry or backpack Delia, so she got to be a hiker too for the first time. She did great...mostly. Delia's strong will means when she's done hiking, she's done. She'll plop down in the middle of the path and not budge. At least she picked some scenic spots!

It ended up being a fun little outing. That day in the snow at the cabin is something we look forward to all year, so we're bummed, but how could a rapid-filled-river, blue skies and sunshine, fields of orange poppies and a happy dog hanging her head out the car window not cheer us up?

1 comment:
You are a brave & wonderful mommy!
Post a Comment