Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Even the Churches in LA are Fancy!

On Sunday we went to church at the Crystal Cathedral. The sight of this gleaming, all-glass spire and sanctuary and massive campus is really something to behold. Truthfully, the worship experience was, um, less than worshipful. Apparently times are tough and when you're running a ministry that requires marble bathrooms and serving PF Chang in your restaurant, some begging for money is going to be required. More time was spent selling their products during the service than actually singing or learning from God's word. But oh well! Another life experience!
.

The best parts of Sunday happened after church. Anna took us to the nearby neighborhood of Orange and showed us around Chapman, where she completed her grad work in film studies. Then we wandered around the picture-perfect streets. I learned that some scenes from one of my favorite movies, That Thing You Do!, were filmed in the quaint streets of Orange, since it still retains that 50's-60's vibe. Sure enough, I stared to recognize sites!

Heather, Anna and I ate a late breakfast at Watson's, an old-fashioned drugstore diner that is also featured in the movie. We took some stools at the counter and really had some laughs as we watched the short order cooks flipping pancakes and hash. This meal totally hit the spot and was one of my favorites.

With tummies full of waffles and eggs, we browsed through some of the stores. Most of them were cool antique shops and Heather found some neat vintage travel plaques to decorate her walls with. More than once we all exclaimed over items that were duplicates of toys we used to play with or kitchenware we grew up with. Really? Are we that old that my Disney school bus lunchbox is for sale for $50 in an antique shop!?

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

I love That Thing You Do, too! I'm enjoying the pics of your trip. Disappointing about the Crystal Cathedral, but I guess now you've seen it!

Amy

Anonymous said...

Cute dress, Jen! I really like the picture of you and Heather under the sign.

MOM