I'm not gonna lie, I was just as excited to see Conan O'Brien as I was to see my own family members. I've been a fan since his early days on the Late Night show. As soon as the LA trip was planned, I asked if we could try for some Tonight Show tickets. When we learned Heather's email won the lottery, we screamed. Another freak-out came when we learned that Anna's boss, knowing Conan's agent, upgraded our tickets to VIP!
.
.
Being a VIP was soooo cool, but the experience of the show was even better! We did have great seats, 3rd row behind Andy Richter. You can't ever see us, but we're sure you can hear us! There were a few things that surprised me about attending this taping. One was that the studio was really small. Our high school auditorium is actually bigger. The stage is much more compact than it appears on TV. Another thing that surprised me was how effectively they pumped us up. A comedian came out for 15 minutes and warmed up the audience and the band actually circulated the studio playing high-energy music in the aisles. Things I would never laugh at while watching the show on TV were hilarious during the taping! We went home hoarse and with tingling hands from screaming and clapping so hard. I was also surprised by how little is edited out. The show is filmed start to finish with no stopping or second-takes. One joke with Kristen Stewart is all that we saw that folks at home did not. There were a few treats just for us in the audience, though. We heard Conan film promos for the night's show and sing us "The End of the Show Song." It was so weird and so awesome to see the set and the people I watch regularly on TV in real life. Since they kind of came up and interacted with the audience, we were close enough to touch Conan, Andy, LaBamba and other members of the band. I could go on and on, but I'll just conclude the description of this experience by saying it was first-class and one-of-a-lifetime. I still smile thinking about it!
1 comment:
I love this post! What fun!
Post a Comment