As you know, we are the perfect family. Whenever we spend time together it is always happy, fun and full of adventure. We plan phenomenal vacations that go off flawlessly. My husband is superman, ministering effectively and constantly, yet finding time to come home and be a dream dad. I cook my family fabulous meals every day and am proud that every activity I introduce to my children not only engages them, but makes them smarter and more creative. You know these very things because you read them here on this very blog. I am aware that I tend to share just the good and probably over-emphasize the highs of life in each thing I post about. I don't lie, but most of the time, I intentionally leave out the melt-downs, tension, stress, sickness, fatigue, sibling squabbling, accidents in the undies, disappointment, sadness and junk food that plagues our daily life.
I debated if I should write about this or not. The break from blogging somehow convinced me that I should. Here's the truth: I am far from the perfect mom. Two weeks ago, I lost Delia. Yes, that's right, I left her unattended for what I thought was just a moment and she took off. This happened at Family Fun Night in a gymnasium sized space with at least 500 people crammed inside. I quick got up to get some dessert with Ella and when I returned to our table, she was gone. I thought, since we were sitting with people we knew well, "She's just with someone. A friend took her to play games." This thought stopped comforting me, though, as I ran around searching and not finding. My panic grew as I realized HOW many people were in this mob and HOW many different places she could be in. I flew around with my heart pounding, ignoring the "Hi Jen!" I kept hearing from every other person in the vast crowd who knew me. I told a few people and the word just spread until a whole anxious search party was out looking for Delia. And we debated. Do we get on the loudspeaker and make an announcement? Do we start running down the sidewalks and searching the neighborhood? It was unbearable to think about finding my baby scared and overwhelmed in this busy and unfamiliar place. It was even more unbearable to think about not finding her at all.
Well, I did find her after what felt like an eternity, but was probably more like 10 minutes. She was outside playing on the playground. She was not huddled in a corner sobbing and she didn't fly into my arms as soon as she caught sight of me. She joyfully informed me, "I play park, Mommy!"
There is no redemption in this story. No cute anecdote to conclude it with. I won't even try to teach some lesson, except, perhaps the obvious, don't take your eyes off your children-- especially the ones you yourself have described as "adventurous, wild, spunky and curious." Days after the incident I was sitting in my Beth Moore Bible Study still feeling rotten, when she reminded me that even Mary lost Jesus when he was a boy. And he was missing for 3 whole days! I guess I just tell you to confess that life is not always as rosy as you read here on the VM Family Blog. And I suspect there are a few out there that can even relate. :)
4 comments:
Oh, dear Jen....I can soooooooo relate! Thank you for your honesty and openness!
Oh, Jen, bless your heart! I love to read all the happenings in your life, good and bad.
Hang in there. And just for the record, I think you and Dave are pretty great parents, and an inspiration for us!!
Amy
(sniff, sniff) I got a little overwhelmed with emotion reading this post. No perfection here either. Even when we were all running around looking for Delia, all I could think about was how quickly "things" happen -- to all of us.
Thanks for being real. Of course I can relate! (Especially after I just did my Esther BM study tonight and realized one of my biggest fears in life is that people will think I'm not a good mom!) I'm glad you found your sweet Delia and that she was safe and all that good stuff. Isn't it comforting to think that God isn't asking us to be perfect parents? He's walking beside us so he makes up for all we lack.
Post a Comment